Friday, November 4, 2011

Life Does Get Better

His response to me...can wait. There were a lot of other things going on in my life. In August we had a surprise birthday party for my cousin's husband. She made him a pretty awesome and memorable cake. My job was to clean, cook and decorate for the party. I spent the day cleaning the house and got two visits from my cousin delivering groceries for the party. I made wingettes and collard greens. They actually came out pretty darn good. We also had chips and something else to eat, but I can't remember what. I also started decorating, but I was a bit too short to hang certain things up (I'm only 5'3") so one of her friends had to help me. The most difficult part of the surprised party was making sure he didn't come home too early. We left that part up to one of their friends. She is a girl that works with the husband and also goes to church with us. She is also not from this area so we had something in common already. It was her job to figure out a way to keep him out of the house. She decided that she would ask him to come and set up her Internet for her. She thought that it would take up enough time to keep him occupied until we were ready. It wasn't. He's a computer whiz (better than me) and was finished with that very quickly. Later on that night we got to hear about how she sent him out to the store and even pulled out photo albums to show him to try to keep him away from home. Of course, he knew his wife was going to plan something for him and started to get agitated and really wanted to go home. She kept calling us to keep us informed and we knew we would have to hurry up before he just decided to go home.

The party turned out to be a lot of fun and the surprised wasn't ruined. I plugged in my cell phone to an aux cord for some music (i have over 2000 songs to choose from). We did the Cha Cha, the Cupid Shuffle, and the Dougie. And we did it all in a very small space, but we had a lot of fun. I spent my time getting to know the guests and dancing with the kids. It was a good day for me because for once I wasn't somewhere crying or feeling lonely. My mind was completely on the party and everything going on around me. After the party was over I told my cousins that I would clean up the next day so they wouldn't have much to do.

That is one of the few events that I remember during the month of August. We had a picnic with our church that was either at the end of July or some time during the month of August. That was pretty interesting. I still didn't know a lot of people that were there. I wound up either on the phone or playing scrabble. We only stayed for a little while because it was pretty hot outside and we were getting attacked by bugs. The one good thing about PA is that the mosquitoes are nothing like NJ mosquitoes. I went home with just a couple of bites, but if I was back home I would have been covered head to toe in mosquito bites. My cousin didn't fare as well as I did. She got bit more than me and also has regular allergies through out the year. When they come, they take her down. She is a mess until she can get some medication in her. I have had some late night runs of looking in stores for allergy meds for her.

On the job front I was still doing the same thing as usual. Filling out as many applications as humanly possible. I was starting to get some calls, but they seemed to be a bit shady. I was supposed to go to an interview in Hershey, but my cousin didn't think that they paid me enough to take the long drive everyday and use up so much gas. It was just a server position and we weren't sure how much they would be paying. Good news was coming though. I had been conversing with a woman from an IT company that seemed to think she could get me an interview for a helpdesk job. I doubted anything would come of it because I didn't think that I was completely qualified. Still, she called me back and told me she had set up an interview for me with the company for August 23rd. I was very excited, but nervous at the same time. I hadn't had my hair done in a long time and my dreads were all crazy, I had no interview clothes, and again I didn't feel qualified. Nevertheless I was going to make it to the interview. My interview time was somewhere around 2pm, but I was about 40 minutes early for the interview. I wound up wearing an outfit that I had just worn to church that past Sunday. It is actually the very outfit that is on my Blogger profile. I was worried because I have three tattoos and two of them were showing with that outfit. The problem was that my cousin was a little bigger than me and a lot of her clothes were too big. I wanted to look presentable and not have my clothes falling off of me. I took a chance with a skirt and short sleeves and hoped they were understanding about the tattoos.

I was called upstairs and was interviewed by two people at the same time. One of them would be my direct supervisor if I was hired, and the other one would be her supervisor. They seemed nice enough and were actually around my age. About ten minutes into the interview though something very strange happened...

No comments:

Post a Comment